Friday, December 18, 2009

Curly Sue's Transformation

Michael and I had talked about getting Christine's hair cut some time to donate to Locks of Love. She has gorgeous hair. It's thick, wavy, basically everything mine wasn't as a child. I envied girls with her kind of hair.
Mine was very fine - which translates into limp and flat. It would never hold curl, my mother even tried getting it permed a few times, and within weeks, it was back to it's former limp, blah self. Anyway, back to Christine.
One day I decided to tell her about Locks of Love, why it is needed, how they get the hair, etc. I asked if she wanted to do it, and without hesitation, she said yes. I told her that we would talk about it again later with her dad, thinking that she would change her mind. I talked with Michael some more about it and we decided that if she wanted to do it, she could. A few days later, I brought it up again, and she was still on board.
I asked if she wanted me to call Jackie (the magician for my hair) and get her an appointment, and she said she wanted it done before Christmas. I called and got it set up and let Christine know that if she changed her mind before the appointment, she didn't have to go through with it. Every day, the answer was still the same.
The big day came, my friend took the other kids, and Christine and I headed for the salon. Here's our girl's transformation.


In the waiting room, here is the front before the deed.


and the back


Jackie checked her hair to be sure that it was suitable for donation.


Measuring (this is where I thought I might change my mind!)


Because her hair is so thick, she had enough for two donations!


Look at all of that hair!


Christine has always had curly hair, but with it being so long, most of it was weighted down. It's back!


Again with thickness, this is how much of her hair was taken out for thinning (so it wouldn't look like a big bush on her cute face).


Jackie straightened it to be sure that she hadn't missed any stragglers.


Jackie the Master with the finished product.


Christine had a bath last night, and this was her hair in the morning, all over the place!


Cutie Pie

She loves her hair, and so do we. I think I'll miss some of the things I used to be able to do with her hair, but I am so proud that she wanted to do this. After all, for her, it's just hair, and it will grow back. For someone else, it's a way to help them feel good about themselves at such a difficult time in their life.

4 comments:

Stacey said...

What a beautiful girl, inside and out!! 2 donations!! Way to go, Christine!!

Sarah R said...

How great! Her hair is was gorgeous, before AND after. I love the curl, too!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

She is so cute! What a brave girl to cut off her hair. This will be something she will always remember, how fun for her.

Jaime said...

How awesome that she made that decision! My McKenna who is now 8, donated her hair to Locks of Love also about a year and a half ago. She got 13 inches cut off! But it was all of her idea. She had heard about it or saw the advertisement somewhere and decided that that's what she wanted to do. It's a great thing to know where all of that hair is going!:)