Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Adventures in Babysitting

Before I start this post, I would like to wish my wonderful husband a happy birthday. I love you and hope we have made your day special. We all love you!!

A little randomness today, then I'll continue the vacation posts.

Today I was thinking of how long I have been watching other people's children. I figured out that with about three years or so worth of breaks here and there I have been watching other people's children for 14 years (over 17 years). I think this explains a lot about my condition, for I truly must be insane.

I have actually contemplated doing this post before, but I didn't want to offend any of the parents of the children I have watched. Let's just say I have been asked to do some pretty incredible things.

Here are some things I have gained or can do though:
I can recite the movies Beauty and the Beast and Mary Poppins from beginning to end. I don't know how many times I've watched Beauty and the Beast, but one summer I watched Mary Poppins nearly every weekday for three months straight. Stacey, do you remember when Matilda was hidden? That didn't make me sad.

I can feed five children lunch and nurse a baby at the same time. I can also get them to eat a fruit, vegetable, protein, and grain at every meal.

I can make Costco runs with five children. -What I can't do is make people's rude comments stop. What if all of those children are mine? Is that really any of your business? I did however, get a hug once when putting a box of diapers in my cart.

I can sing nearly every Laurie Berkner song and all of the primary songs from memory.

I can play ring around the rosies with the best of them.

My house usually isn't totally covered with toys. There are times when it is, but I can get them to clean up (I've been known to throw a toy away for motivation's sake).

I can walk 2 blocks with 2 preschoolers, 2 2 year olds and 2 kids in a double stroller.

Because I have a wonderful husband, I have been able to attend prenatal and well child visits by myself (or with one child in the case of their own check-ups).

I'll admit, I don't always love having other people's children here, but my kids like having friends here nearly every day. They are a lot of fun to have here. I especially love watching the little ones learn and grow and discover new things. Sometimes I wish I could just have my kids here with me by myself, but on the occasional days that we are here by ourselves, it gets boring. On the whole it's been a good 14 years.

1 comment:

Stacey said...

Yes!! I remember Matilda...can you recite that movie? YUCK! It IS Brooklyn, though..she had spunk!!
You were a saint to my kids and you are a wonderful mommy! Those kiddos that you watch are very lucky to have you loving them. Their parents should thank you! You are 1 in a million! And I believe you throw toys away for motivation!! :)